Home » Fusion Middleware & Colab Suite » Weblogic & Application Server » Oracle HTTP server vs. 9iAS
Oracle HTTP server vs. 9iAS [message #76957] Wed, 07 April 2004 09:19 Go to next message
Mike Macary
Does anyone know if you can use the Oracle HTTP Server in a production environment without licensing the Oracle 9iAS ?

if you use the owa web toolkit, does that license come with the database ?

please advise.

mm
Re: Oracle HTTP server vs. 9iAS [message #76958 is a reply to message #76957] Wed, 07 April 2004 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
andrew again
Yes you can - it's part of the DB software. The owa toolkit should already be installed, if not see $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/owacomm.sql

select * from dba_objects where object_name like 'OWA%' and object_type = 'PACKAGE';

desc htp;
desc owa_util;
Re: Oracle HTTP server vs. 9iAS [message #76959 is a reply to message #76958] Wed, 07 April 2004 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike Macary
I notice conflicting opinions on that.

I notice Oracle says it supports only 9iAS and some say you can use the Oracle HTTP server only in a development environment.

Our systems group is trying to get away from OAS 4.0.8 and move to the apache technology and we have no need for all of 9iAS (although we need to look into a single sign-on solution)

thanks for the timely reply
Re: Oracle HTTP server vs. 9iAS [message #76961 is a reply to message #76959] Thu, 08 April 2004 14:44 Go to previous message
andrew again
Mike

I'm not sure that I'd read too much into that. They also say they don't support s/w downloaded from OTN - that you should use the CD. The fact as I see it is that they both use mod_plsql. It's worth checking the versions of apache and mod_plsql with the database and 9iAS thoigh. mod_plsql seems to be a very simple piece of s/w and is opensource. Personally I think 9iAS is overkill for pl/sql web apps. 9iAS is quite a big deal to install and upgrade (see the thick upgrade manual from 9.0.2 to 9.0.4 (10g)). Sure, a lot of the complexity is there to address complex installations.

Read the description of how OSSO is implemented. I think you may be able achieve a similar result using encrypted cookies. Remember though that cookies are only supposed to be retrievable from the domain which sent them, so if you have multiple servers, you may need to set multiplecookies.

You may consider using dbms_ldap to validate user logon with an LDAP server if you have one - not nesessary to use Oracle Internet Directory.

--Andrew
Previous Topic: Problem in Copy Paste in applet generated by Formserver
Next Topic: Configuration of Forms Server 6i
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 06:08:24 CDT 2024